The low carbon economy must be the foundation of our future prosperity. We know we can create 200,000 jobs by 2035 in Scotland’s renewables industry, energy efficiency, forestry and North Sea decommissioning.
- We will create a government-led Green New Deal to invest in green industrialisation to deliver the affordable homes, transport and energy we need for a low-carbon future.
- We will create a network of local banks for every city and region. These banks will be there to serve people and lend to low-carbon enterprise. Financial institutions which gamble on speculation will face a ﬁnancial transactions tax, which could raise billions for public services.
- We will invest in warm homes for all, with a nationwide insulation programme, and in a Green Industrial Strategy to build resilient national and local economies.
- We will end the scandal of working poverty, by abolishing exploitative zero hours contracts, upholding employment and trade union rights, closing the gender pay gap, and ensuring that everyone is paid a living wage. With these protections for incomes we will phase in a 35-hour working week to shift our economy away from excessive working hours.
- We will take steps towards the introduction of a universal basic income, including a government sponsored pilot scheme, as a means to increase security for all and reduce the poverty trap. And we will promote credit unions to free people from unjust and burdensome debt.